Do I Need Flood Insurance for My Home?

Most homeowners purchase their home without thinking about the worst-case scenario. Unfortunately, standard homeowners’ insurance doesn’t typically come with flood protection, which can lead many homeowners scrambling in the wake of a fast and furious flood.

Understanding the risk of flooding in your area and arming your home with the proper internal flooding defense tools can give you and your family peace of mind.

Designated Flood Zones

Determine whether or not you live in a designated flood zone. A quick Internet search can help you pinpoint whether or not your home naturally falls into a potentially dangerous zone that often floods. The government keeps flood maps consistently updated through a variety of processes. Be mindful that just because you don’t live in a flood zone doesn’t mean you aren’t susceptible to dangerous water levels. Flooding can occur in inland areas as well.

Both renters and homeowners can get flood insurance, but is a special policy that doesn’t come with standard coverage levels.

Where Can I Get Flood Insurance?

You can get flood insurance through the National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP). These policies are underwritten by the government and typically sold through private insurance agents. The NFIP provides coverage up to $250,000 for home structures and a maximum of $100,000 for personal possessions.

If you’re on the fence about whether or not you need flood insurance, we always say it’s better to be safe than sorry. Flood insurance combined with the right internal flooding defense products can make a huge difference in the wake of a flood.

Browse our products or get in touch to see how we can help.